Nordplus traineeships abroad

Take a traineeship abroad with a Nordplus grant.

How do I apply for a grant?

If you are going to do a traineeship in a Nordplus country with which we have an agreement, you can apply for a Nordplus grant.

More details further down the page.

About a Nordplus traineeship abroad

  • In order to apply for a Nordplus grant, you must be enrolled as a student at UCL University College    
  • You must have studied there for at least one year before going abroad.
  • You must reside in the host country during your period of study.
  • The traineeship must last 1-12 months.
  • Your traineeship abroad must grant credits in accordance with the curriculum of your course of studies.
  • The place where you do your traineeship must be in one of the Nordplus countries. 

In the case of insufficient Erasmus+ or Nordplus funds in relation to the number of applicants, we award grants according to the following criteria, in order of priority:

  • Students who have previously been on an Erasmus+ or Nordplus study period abroad have a low priority.
  • Students who will be doing a traineeship in their home country have a low priority.
  • Students who send in an online application without the name of a traineeship host, or who apply later than 1 1/2 months before the traineeship is due to start have low priority.

The subsistence grant amounts to EUR 200 per month (2019/2020 rate) for the number of months that are obligatory for a traineeship according to the curriculum of your course of studies.

Travel grants are also provided as a one-off payment to the following destinations:

  • Greenland: EUR 1,300.
  • Faroe Islands and Iceland: EUR 660.

The grant will be paid out through your Danish NemKonto account, and we require your Danish CPR (personal identification number) for the payment. It is therefore a requirement that you have a Danish bank account identified as your NemKonto.

You apply for the grant in connection with your online application for a traineeship abroad.  

You may apply for a grant in connection with a traineeship abroad at any time, but at the latest 1 1/2 months before the traineeship period is due to start. We recommend that you start even earlier if your traineeship host has been confirmed. Please note that you must apply through MoveOn and for a Nordplus grant before your traineeship abroad begins. If you do not do this, UCL will unfortunately not be able to give you a Nordplus grant. You will receive an email from the International Team, informing you whether you have been awarded the grant, or not.

Nordplus covers the following countries:

Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Finland, the Faroe Islands and Greenland.


If you are awarded the grant, the International Team will send you additional documents via email, to be completed before leaving.

Please note that if you return home early and thus cancel your Nordplus study period, you will ALWAYS have to repay THE WHOLE AMOUNT of your Nordplus grant, regardless of what expenses you may have already incurred.

Only in special cases, due to force majeure, will you be allowed to keep the grant. Force majeure is defined as: 'An unforeseeable exceptional situation or event beyond the participant's control and not attributable to error or negligence on his/her part'.