Practical information about going abroad

Make sure that you have all the practical issues sorted out, before you are going abroad.

Practical information

You can read more on insurance, vaccination, visa etc. below.

Practical information

Insurance and studying abroad

It is important that you make sure you have the right insurance policies before you go abroad.

In general, there are 3 different types of insurance that you should be aware of. More information below.


Types of insurance

Health insurance

Studying abroad in EU/EEC countries:

If you are travelling abroad in an EU or EEC country, you must at least have the blue EU health insurance card, which covers you on a par with citizens of the country in question. This means that you will have to pay any user fees that are charged.

Since there are limitations in coverage (for example, in relation to home transport, which is not covered by the blue health insurance card), you should consider taking out supplementary private health insurance.

Studying abroad in non-EU/EEC countries:

If you are going to study abroad in a country that is not part of the EU or the EEC, we recommend that you take out a private health insurance.


Third-party insurance


If you are going to study abroad, then we recommend that you take out third-party insurance, though for many courses of study this is not a requirement.


Check if you are insured through any trades union you are a member of that covers the field of work in question. If not, then you and your international coordinator must ensure that your host has liability insurance which will cover you while you are abroad. If you are going to do a traineeship abroad and are looking for an Erasmus+ grant, then liability insurance is a requirement, and you will receive further information about this.


Accident insurance

Studying abroad:

You are advised to take out accident insurance if you are going to study abroad, but this is not a requirement.


If you are going on a traineeship abroad and will as a student be receiving Erasmus+ funding for your stay, you must have a full-time industrial injuries insurance that covers you in the event of injuries you may suffer abroad. If this is the case, you will be given further information. And make sure that the insurance also covers accidents that may occur during the traineeship.



If you have any questions about insurance, feel free to contact the International Team.

Travelling safely abroad

If you intend to take a stay abroad, you should consider participating in our meeting about travel safety and the cultural meeting, which will give you useful and relevant information about your upcoming period abroad.

The course

A stay abroad is an exciting time in any student's life, but it also means stepping into a different environment than the one you are used to. For this reason, UCL offers a this course covering some of the issues you are encouraged to think about and reflect on before you leave.

Though the vast majority of students complete their period of stay abroad without any problems, the course aims to prepare you as well as possible to handle any challenges you might face abroad.

The course lasts about 2 hours (presentation, followed by active discussion) and covers:

  • New environment - new risks.
  • Problems and challenges.
  • Practical advice & recommendations.
  • Think about your own safety.
  • Ideas on how to look after yourself.
  • Cultural aspects
  • Talking with someone about the challenges you might be unlucky enough to face.

The International Team will send an email inviting all students who are planning to go abroad to attend the course

Time and place

The course is held twice a year online.
Next meeting: 21/06/2021
From 13.00 - 15.00 in English


Sille Johannsen for further information at

Do you know the regulations concerning visas?

As a student, you are responsible for applying for a visa for the country in which you will be staying. To help you with this, we have compiled below some frequently asked questions, and the answers you need.

If you are studying or doing a traineeship abroad, it is important to check if the host country requires you to apply for a visa. If you are studying abroad at one of UCL's partner institutions, the host institution will usually tell you how to apply for a visa.

Read more about visa here.
If a visa application is required, then it is your own responsibility to ensure that the application is completed correctly and sent in on time. This means that you have to take the initiative yourself and seek information about visas to the country in which you will be staying.


Visa FAQ

How do I apply for a visa?

The procedure for applying for a visa varies from country to country. You are therefore responsible for finding out how to apply for a visa to the country you will be visiting. Contact the host country's embassy in Denmark for the necessary information.

You can also search for information about that country in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs travel guides.


What do I need to apply for a visa?

Usually, you will need the following documents when applying for a visa:

  • An official invitation or letter of admission from a host institution.
  • A signed traineeship agreement or learning agreement.
  • Documentation concerning your income during your traineeship/period of study. *
  • Proof of study activity. *
  • A formal recommendation from a person of academic standing at UCL.
  • Please note that the documentation required differs from country to country, and you should therefore contact the host country's embassy for the information.

You are more than welcome to contact the International Team at Student Services, before you contact the host countrys' embassy for the first time. We can provide you information and advice on what to write and consider in the email to the embassy.


* This documentation can be obtained from UCL's Student Administration, which has templates in English you can use.


What kind of visa should I apply for?

It is important to find out how your period of study abroad is to be categorised.

Generally, students going on internships must apply for a Work Visa; whereas students going for a period of study normally have to apply for a Student Visa. However, what the right visa is called can vary from country to country, and ultimately, you are personally responsible for finding out what visa you have to apply for.

We do not advise you to travel on a tourist visa, as going on a period of study abroad on the wrong visa may have personal repercussions.


When should I apply for a visa?

It is best to start the visa application process well in advance of your departure. You can usually find out the application deadline from the host institution or the relevant embassy, ​​but you are personally responsible for finding out what it is and complying with it. You must also ensure that your visa covers your entire period of residence.


How much does it cost to apply for a visa?

There may be fees associated with the application process that you will have to pay yourself.


Who should I get in contact with if I have further questions?

You are welcome to contact the International Team via email before contacting the host country's embassy for the first time. We can provide information and advice about the contents of the email to the embassy when you write to them. 

Please note that you may need vaccinations before traveling abroad.

Where do I look for information about vaccinations?

If you are going to study abroad, it is important to find out what vaccinations the Danish State Serum Institute recommends you to get before you leave. And don't forget that some countries may require you to have been vaccinated against specific illnesses before allowing you to apply for a visa.

NOTE - Students on courses of study related to the health care system may require additional vaccinations or health checks. Contact your international coordinator for further information.

Take part in international activities while studying at UCL.

Get international skills without travelling abroad

At UCL, our aim is that all students acquire international skills, so as to be better prepared for a globally-oriented labour market. If you do not wish to take a study period abroad, yet still want to improve your international skills, you can take part in some of the various international activities or courses that UCL offers students in Denmark (Internationalisation at Home).

Taking part in international study activities

In addition to choosing between a period of study or a traineeship abroad, you can choose to participate in an internationalisation course linked to your course of study at UCL. The subjects or modules that are part of an internationalisation course will usually involve some international aspect, for example: foreign guest teachers, virtual teaching or group work with students and teachers in other countries, and the inclusion of intercultural elements in the curriculum. The subject or module may be multidisciplinary or interdisciplinary. You will be part of a team of international exchange students and the course will typically be taught in English.

Your international coordinator can tell you which international study activities you can take part in as a student, the number of ECTS points attached to these activities and how they fit into your course of study.

Buddy for a foreign student

As a student at UCL, you have several opportunities of getting involved in the international study environment. You can become a Buddy for an international exchange student, helping him or her to make a good start to their stay: helping them prepare for their new life in Denmark, to get to know the town they are living in and introducing them to the social side of studying at UCL. You may also choose to be linked to a foreign exchange student who is studying the same subjects as you are.

Whatever you choose, the Buddy scheme is a great opportunity to expand your international network, improve your foreign languages and hone your intercultural skills.

The International Team can give you specific information on how to become a Buddy for a foreign exchange student. Feel free to contact us for more information. 

UCL Boulevarden

  • Logistics management
  • Innovation and Entrepreneurship
  • Service, Hospitality and Tourism Management

Finn Jørrald

UCL Seebladsgade

  • IT-technology
  • Product Development and Integrative Technology

Bettina Lynn Szweda International Coordinator
  • Architectural Technology and Construction Management

Line Lindeblad International Coordinator
  • Innovation & Entrepreneurship
  • International Sales and Marketing
  • International Hospitality Management
  • Sports Management

Allan Lindgaard Winther International Coordinator
  • Service, Hospitality and Tourism Management

Nadja Schäfer-Dorn International Coordinator
  • Marketing Management

Lars Christian Bojen Nielsen International Coordinator

UCL Boulevarden

Logistics Management; Commerce Management

Henrik Steen Krogh
6171 4247

Innovation and Entrepreneurship

Hans Ingemann Lottrup
4059 8271

Computer Science

Per Bøgeskov
6543 4846

Service Engineering

Per Hinrichs
6543 4795

Process Technology

Pia Gaarde
2941 0740

Service, Hospitality and Tourism Management

Anita Hede

Software Development

Per Bøgeskov
6543 4846

UCL Seebladsgade

Financial Controlling; Finance Management

Jan Ytting

Financial Management and Service

Kent Hother Nielsen
6543 4841

Innovation and Entrepreneurship

Johnny Morberg Nielsen
6543 4791

Service, Hospitality and Tourism Management; International Hospitality Management

Johnny Morberg Nielsen
6543 4791

International Sales and Marketing

Johnny Morberg Nielsen
6543 4791

Commerce Management

Johnny Morberg Nielsen
6543 4791

Marketing Management

Lene Hauge Jeppesen
6543 4794

Multimedia Design and Communication; Digital Concept Development

Karen Malene Andreasen

IT Security
Morten Sabro Damgaard

Computer Science

Allan Helboe
6543 4847


Sine Larsen

Automation Engineering (Odense and Fredericia); Automotive Technology; Production Technology; Product Development and Integrative Technology; Service Engineering (Plumbing)

Bettina Lynn Szweda
6543 4839

Agro Business and Landscape Management

Freddie Skov-Hundevad
6543 4790

Service Engineering; Energy Technology; Service Engineering (Plumbing)

Lars Duelund Petersen
6065 9235

Process Technology

Pia Agger
6543 4845

IT Technology

Ilias Esmati
3089 4941

Software Development

Morten Sabro Damgaard

Architectural Technology and Construction Management; Construction and Business, Construction Coordinator

Ann-Louise Findsen
2917 3440

Chemical and Biotechnical Science

Gunnar Rosendal
6543 4840

Lone Kieler
6543 4843

SoUCL - Share your experiences on Instagram
Inspiration for you, who consider a study or traineeship abroad and for you, who wants to share your experience abroad.

This is your unique opportunity to share the photos you would like to have seen yourself, when you planned your mobility abroad.

By using the hashtags below, other students can search for the specific education and for the destinations. This will give fellow students the opportunity to be inspired by your posts when they consider an experience abroad.

Hashtags we would like you to use:
#uclEDUCATION   eks. #ucladministrationsbachelor
#uclCOUNTRY      eks. #uclspanien

You find the hashtag for your education here. Please use the Danish terms in order not to be mistaken with other institutions.

The photos must be posted from your own Instagram account. It is 100% optional if you want to share pictures from your mobility abroad, but it would be fantastic if you would like to share your experience.
In case you don’t have an Instagram account or don’t want to post from this, you are more than welcome to contact Sille Johannsen at, who will posts your pictures from our UCL account.

What is interesting to show?

Think of the pictures you would like to have seen before you planned your study/traineeship abroad. Other students would probably like to see them as well.

When you post the pictures, you can choose briefly to describe what the pictures show or you can also choose not to write a text.
Ideas for the text:

  • Differences in the culture/study or work culture from DK/UCL and the receiving country
  • What competences you have gained
  • Why you recommend a stay abroad
  • Why you chose this destination/company/institution
  • Your 3 best tips for others considering a stay abroad

It is very important that you always follow the GDPR when posting photos no matter whether you choose to be part of SoUCL or not. Please see the instructions GDPR – personal data rules for students, guidelines on picture or video recordings and Declaration of consent .

International Team

Christina Højsgaard Madsen Senior International Consultant
Cristina Lerche Administrative assistant, student services
Elena Federle International Consultant
Jannie Kruse Kivi Administrative assistant, student services
Sille Jee Kongshøj Johannsen International Consultant

Advice and guidance about your international opportunities

The International Team can provide you with guidance and good advice if your dream is to gain international experience during your studies at UCL University College. 

For example, they can give you advice and guidance on:

  • studying abroad;
  • traineeships abroad;
  • applications for grants, scholarships, etc.

Please note that it is the job of the local international coordinators attached to the individual study programmes to offer specialist guidance on international opportunities.

The International Team primarily advises on practical and administrative issues, such as applications, scholarships, grants and documentation.